The best laboratory-scale homogenizer for disrupting aqueous suspensions of yeast or bacteria. The BeadBeater comes complete with everything you need with a 350 ml polycarbonate chamber, rotor assembly, motor base, ice-water cooling jacket and one pound of glass beads.
Indicate your glass bead size choice by adding -101, -105 or -110 (which is 0.1, 0.5, or 1.0 mm diameter) to the end of the catalog number (example: 1107900-105). See our Bead link in the Browse box to the left for bead selection guidance. Bead compositions other than glass should be order separately. If you require a european/asian 230 VAC unit, please select the model that ends in -EUR.
The BeadBeater disrupts microorganisms, single-cell preparations and pulverized plant and animal tissue with better than 95 percent efficiency. Up to 80 grams (wet weight) of cells can be processed in a typical three minute run. Relying on a unique crushing or cracking action rather than high the shear forces found with a French Press or sonicator, a Teflon impeller rotating at high speed forces thousands of minute glass beads to violently collide in a special clover-leaf shaped vessel. Cells are disrupted quickly, efficiently and safely in the sealed system. The apparatus is easy to clean, has a small footprint, requires no auxiliary supplies or equipment and is essentially maintenance free. Beads settle out in seconds and are reusable. The apparatus is easy to clean, has a small footprint, requires no auxiliary supplies or equipment and is essentially maintenance free. Beads settle out in seconds and are reusable.
- Ideal for isolating proteins, enzymes and intact intracellular organelles
- Powerful, high speed motor. Only durable, non-toxic components contact product
- Designed for batches up to 80g (wet wt.) in 200 ml of medium
- Highly efficient disruption in shortest times possible
- Sample cooling during homogenization is simple and efficient
- Homogenizing chamber made of shatter-proof polycarbonate, 350 ml total volume, 200ml working
- Rotor machined from solid Teflon
- 15,800 rpm, 3/8 HP single speed motor
- 6 inch dia. footprint X 12 inch high, shipping wt. 11 lbs
- 115 Volt, 50/60Hz, 3 wire grounded cord
- European 220/230 Volt, 50Hz, 400 watt version available
CONTROLING SAMPLE WARMING. Like many mechanical cell disruption techniques, the Beadbeating process generates heat. In general for every minute of beadbeating there is a 10 deg rise in sample temperature. Should that be a problem, the ice-water jacket included with the BeadBeater helps keep this temperature increase under control. Superior control is achieved using an accessary stainless steel or aluminum sample chamber. See accessories below. *Rick Hansen at Solid Tech Animal Health recently suggested another way to keep the sample chamber cold: "We affix small freezer pack gels with a rubber band around the s. s. chamber just before firing up the Beadbeater."
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS. See http://www.biospec.com/instructions/beadbeater/.