BioCryo Tissue Grinder
The Bio Cryo Tissue Grinder is a high-speed blade mill. The tightly sealed, 3/4 cup capacity (~200 ml) grinding chamber has a sealed pour spout for optional addition and removal of extraction liquids after "dry" grinding.
The BCTG has two distinct applications:
(1) Grinding or shredding dried plant tissue. This prepares the plant tissue for the efficient extraction of biochemicals in water- and solvent-base solvents.
Depending on grinding times of 5 to 60 seconds, one to 10 grams of dry plant tissue (examples: cannabis, spices, and seeds) are reduced to a shredded, granular- or powder-like consistency. After the plant tissue has been shredded or powdered, it can be utilized as is, or optionally, be extracted for flavor, aromatic or bioactive components. A food-compatible extraction solvent such as water, high proof vodka (ethanol) or olive oil is added to the grinding chamber via its pour spout and the BCTG is operated for a few additional seconds.
(2) Disruption of fresh tissue and microbial cells in dry ice. Ideal for the recovery of high molecular weight DNA and other labile intercellular macromolecules.
This process, called cryogrinding, can be applied to a wide range of fresh plant and animal tissues as well as to yeast and fungus. The original tissue must have a high water content (>70%)** and be hard-frozen in order to be powdered at very low temperatures in the presence of dry-ice. The hard-frozen sample is powdered in seconds and the dry ice is removed by sublimation while stored overnight in a freezer. The residual frozen tissue powder remaining in the BCTG chamber is extracted with cold media for further work-up. Cryogrinding is an excellent way to assure stabilization of labile intercellular organelles and biochemicals during size reduction of the tissue sample and is a preferred first step for recovering very large molecular weight DNA from tissues.
** Tougher tissues such as wood, hair, feather, hide, bone and some seeds may not cryogrind in the BCTG. However, some of these tissues may yield to cryogrinding or cryopulverization using other devices manufactured by BioSpec Products. Please contact us for advice at support.
- Capacity: 1 - 10 g of tissue or packed microbial cells
- Manual pulsed operation
- Removable stainless steel polycarbonate grinding chamber
- Top-shelf dishwasher safe
- Compact size, L: 5 in, H: 9 in, W: 5 in
- 120 volts, 60 Hz, 210 watts
Sorry, it looks like some products are not available in selected quantity.